Health Information Assistant

The field of health information management  (medical records) is growing rapidly. The Health Information Assistant program provides students with knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of health information managers. Through the use of textbooks, applications, and simulations, students are given the opportunity to develop the skills required for this field. These skills include: International Classification of Diseases Tenth Revision (ICD 10-CM) and Procedure Classification System (ICD 10-PCS), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding, insurance billing, records management, HIPAA regulations, and office management.

HIA Brochure 2017

HIA Information

Related Careers

  • Patient Data Entry
  • Medical CPT Coder
  • Medical ICD-10 Coder
  • Medical Records Management
  • Medical Staff Credentialing
  • Office Manager
  • Insurance Pre-Authorization for procedures
  • Medical Insurance Biller

For more information on careers please visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Degrees and Certificates 

* Some courses may only be offered at the ASU-Beebe Searcy campus

Technical Certificate in Health Information Technology

Print PDF  View Catalog          These courses are offered on the Searcy Campus.

HIA 1103 Medical Terminology I
HIA 1203 Body Structure and Function
HIA 1303 Medical Office Procedure
HIA 1603 CPT Coding
MATH 1013 Technical Math M or Higher
ENG/COM 1003/1013 Freshman English I or Career Communications
Back to Top
HIA 2103  Medical Terminology II
HIA 2203 Medical Office Applications
HIA  2303 Coding
HIA/BSYS 2313/2403/2573 Disease Processes of the Human Body or Medical Transcription
HIA 2503 Internship/OJT
Back to Top

Certificate of Proficiency in Health Information Assistant

Print PDF  View Catalog         

These courses are taken in the Fall semester and are located on the Searcy campus.

HIA 1103 Medical Terminology I
HIA 1203 Body Structure and Function



Medical Office Procedures

Back to Top



For general college expenses, students can view ASU-Beebe's Tuition.


Get in Touch

Paula Williams

Paula Williams

phone: 501.207.6234

Plan My Future

Advising and Orientation

Don't know what classes to take? Click here and connect with your advisor.

Degrees And Certificates

Want to know what we offer? Click here

Transfer Options

Needing to transfer? No problem, we have options!

Take college classes while still in high school

Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent enrollment enables students to get a jump on their degree path by gaining college credits while still in high school.

Vanguard Academies

Click here to learn more about Vanguard Academies through your high school.

Regional Career Center

Courses taken at the Regional Career Center are full academic credit through your high school. Students are also eligible to receive concurrent college credit for most of our programs.

Earn my GED.

GED Offices

Meet our staff and locations.

GED Testing

The ASU-Beebe Adult Education Centers offer Official GED® Testing on the Searcy campus. 

Services Offered

ASUB Adult Ed offers a variety of services and trainings to better prepare the community for the workforce.

Advance my education and skills.

Workforce Education

These short-term classes are usually offered at night, weekends, or online and are designed to enhance personal or professional skills. 

Community Education

The Continuing Education/Workforce Development Department at ASU-Beebe sponsors numerous non-credit classes that are designed to meet the needs of the general public and business workforce.

Advanced Programs

Through a partnership between A-State and ASUB, students may earn baccalaureate degrees from Arkansas State University by taking coursework at the Degree Center on the Beebe campus.

Visit the Vanguard Hub quick links

Visit the Banner Self-Service

Get started to your Vanguard Future!


Request an Official Transcript

Get your transcript sent where you need it.

Need Something Else?

Visit the Vanguard Hub for quick links to student resources.

Visit for a semester!

Visiting Students

Visiting Students are enrolled at a college seeking credit for course work at another college.


Let us help you achieve your education goals!

Vanguard Hub

Visit the Vanguard Hub for all your student resources.