Counseling Services

College can be an exciting and challenging time for students. The mission of the Counseling Services in the Student Success Center is to provide high quality services and programs that foster the academic and personal development, and the psychological well-being of ASU-Beebe's diverse student body.

From outreach and prevention to crisis intervention, Counseling Services is dedicated to supporting and empowering you to maximize your college experience and realize your fullest potential. All services are free and confidential.

Any student interested in counseling services, or requiring support for an urgent or crisis situation, may present to the Student Success Center at any time during normal business hours to speak with a counselor.

If you are in an emergency situation where danger is imminent and immediate help is required, call 911 or the ASU-Beebe Police at 501-882-8851 (Beebe campus), 501-362-1234 (Heber Springs campus), or 501-207-6205 (Searcy campus).

Some concerns of students include, but are not limited to:

  • Anger management
  • Anxiety
  • Cultural & racial concerns
  • Depression and anxiety
  • Difficulty with friends, roommates, or family members
  • Eating disorders
  • Lack of motivation or difficulty relaxing, concentrating, or studying
  • Relationships/abuse
  • Post-traumatic stress
  • Self-esteem
  • Sexual harassment/assault
  • Sexual identity
  • Social skills
  • Stress management
  • Substance abuse (drugs, alcohol)
  • Uncertainties about personal values and beliefs
  • Other issues impacting a student's life and academic performance


Location and Office Hours


Student Success Center 
Walk-in & by appointment
Main Building, Student Services Suite 
Walk-in & by appointment
Heber Springs
Student Services Building
Walk-in & by appointment


Abe Chambers, LPC

Jennifer Downey-Rutledge, LAC

Faculty/Staff Referral Form

Many students seek counseling with the encouragement of faculty and staff. Professors and staff are often aware of a student who may benefit from meeting with a professional counselor. 

These Frequently Asked Questions should help faculty and staff facilitate counseling services with students.

When should I refer a student to counseling services?

  • Generally, it is a good idea to suggest counseling if a student appears to be experiencing depression, anxiety, a significant relational conflict, exhibiting disruptive behavior, or is in some type of crisis.
  • Clues to these problems might include a marked change in a student's quality of work or appearance, their report of experiencing a significant traumatic event or hints the student drops in a conversation that elicits significant concern for the student, e.g., "I don't think I can go on like this any more."
  • A helpful way to approach the student is to say, "I noticed … and I'm wondering how you're doing." If he or she responds in a way that indicates more help might be needed, suggest counseling services in the Student Success Center. 
  • Counselors are available to talk to students who are going through a hard time. Let them know that you would be glad to help them set up an appointment.
  • If you are unsure how to handle a particular situation, the counseling staff is available to you for consultation.

How does a student go about making an appointment for counseling?

  • To make an appointment for counseling, a student needs to complete an intake form. Once the intake form is submitted, the student is contacted by the Student Success Center to schedule their initial appointment. Students may also walk-in to any counseling location and complete the intake form and be immediately seen by a counselor (if a counselor is available).
  • It is best for the student to take the initiative in setting up an appointment, rather than having someone else make the appointment for them. We encourage faculty to follow-up with the student to see if they submitted their intake form. 

What do I do when a student in crisis shows up in my office or classroom?

  • If a student is in a crisis, they need not submit the intake form but instead come directly to one of the locations listed above.
  • In the event a student is at an immediate risk of harming themselves or someone else, Campus Safety should be contacted (882-8851) or 911. Clearly state to Campus Safety that you need immediate assistance, give your name, your location and state the nature of the problem. It is best to have another ASU-Beebe employee accompany you and the student while you wait for Campus Safety to respond.

How does the Student Success Center handle emergency situations with students?

  • When we become aware of a potential or actual crisis, we attempt to respond immediately. If the student is in our office, we assess their risk for harm, inquire about their support and connect them with resources to ensure their needs are addressed. This may involve contacting their parents, a Residence Hall Director/Coordinator, or other relevant supportive services.
  • Appropriate follow-up care is then arranged. Our objective is to strategize with the student by proactively securing their safety. We recognize the challenge of respecting students' legal rights as an adult while also appropriating our professional responsibility to help keep them safe.

Does the Student Success Center ever refer students for off-campus counseling?

  • Yes, sometimes a student is best served by specialized treatment not offered by our own counselors. We carefully assess a student's needs and resources before we make any recommendation for off-campus treatment. When a referral is necessary, we help students find a local professional from our referral network.

How do I know if students I've referred actually come to counseling?

  • The Student Success Center must honor students' privacy and confidentiality. But if a student tells us that he or she has come to counseling by your referral and gives us consent to contact you, we will contact you (usually by email) to inform you that their appointment was kept.
  • In the event a student is in imminent danger of causing harm to him or herself or to others, you may be asked to be part of a plan to protect the student.

If you feel a student is at an immediate risk to harm to themselves or others, first call Campus Safety (882-8851) or 911.

Have a colleague accompany you while you wait for Campus Safety to respond. You may then call the Student Success Center at 882-8906.

Plan My Future

Advising and Orientation

Don't know what classes to take? Click here and connect with your advisor.

Degrees And Certificates

Want to know what we offer? Click here

Transfer Options

Needing to transfer? No problem, we have options!

Take college classes while still in high school

Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent enrollment enables students to get a jump on their degree path by gaining college credits while still in high school.

Vanguard Academies

Click here to learn more about Vanguard Academies through your high school.

Regional Career Center

Courses taken at the Regional Career Center are full academic credit through your high school. Students are also eligible to receive concurrent college credit for most of our programs.

Earn my GED.

GED Offices

Meet our staff and locations.

GED Testing

The ASU-Beebe Adult Education Centers offer Official GED® Testing on the Searcy campus. 

Services Offered

ASUB Adult Ed offers a variety of services and trainings to better prepare the community for the workforce.

Advance my education and skills.

Workforce Education

These short-term classes are usually offered at night, weekends, or online and are designed to enhance personal or professional skills. 

Community Education

The Continuing Education/Workforce Development Department at ASU-Beebe sponsors numerous non-credit classes that are designed to meet the needs of the general public and business workforce.

Advanced Programs

Through a partnership between A-State and ASUB, students may earn baccalaureate degrees from Arkansas State University by taking coursework at the Degree Center on the Beebe campus.

Visit the Vanguard Hub

Log into the Vanguard Portal

Your portal to your Vanguard Future!


Request an Official Transcript

Get your transcript sent where you need it.

Need Something Else?

Visit the Vanguard Hub for all your student resources.

Visit for a semester!

Visiting Students

Visiting Students are enrolled at a college seeking credit for course work at another college.


Let us help you achieve your education goals!

Vanguard Hub

Visit the Vanguard Hub for all your student resources.